little girl, Big World

Saturday, January 06, 2007

I just had an interesting discussion with my sister on friendships last night. Interestingly, we've been having a few experiences with friends that we have that seemed to coincidentally follow a pattern.

There are these friends who have played a little part in our lives but have been there for us for a long long time. And there are those who have played a big part of our lives for a little while, but fade away into oblivion. We tend to take for granted the former, but when they disappoint you, it hurts the most. But forgiveness comes instinctively (though not always easily) because you know they are friends worth keeping.

Someone once told me that interesting friends last only a while, because they will lose their 'interesting-ness' with time. It's a universal psychological phenomenon known as habituation. If my friendships were based on how interesting I find a person, I think I would have a new wave of friends every 2-3 months. And I thank God that I'm not the kind of person. I'm someone who needs to spend alot of time and effort (and also requires the other party to put in alot of time and effort) to be proper friends with. I think for all those who are close to me, you'll know what I mean.

Well, the conclusion me and my sister came to was that there are just some friends out there who have yet to stand the test of time, and hurtful as it is to us, we might lose these friends. But we're cool about it. Cos we know our friendship to each other and God will last a lifetime, cliche as it may sound.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home