little girl, Big World

Monday, November 27, 2006

Each person's experience is unique to him/herself. There's no way you can truly empathize with them or truly understand them for that matter.

There's always a danger in saying 'I totally understand how you feel, I know you completely' and then go on to impose what you THINK he/she is experiencing on him/her.

The bottomline for me is: Always protect the feelings of the person you are helping, work only for the person's best interests. And this might mean learning to give up because you know you are not the best person in the situation for him/her.

I remember distinctly what Dr. Kristin Trotter shared with the class as if it was yesterday. Her blue eyes intense, yet so compelling and warm at the same time, staring into everyone else's in class. She said "The client fired me. And it was the correct choice. I wasn't in the right place to help her." So much confidence and yet so much humility just to admit that. It's amazing.

So unless I'm arrogant enough to think I'm the best person for the other, I should not force it upon others to think that way.

Just some random thoughts after studying for my module.. Exams are looming. And I'm less than halfway through my revision. Not cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home