little girl, Big World

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Pharisee

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' 14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Luke 18:9-14 [emphasis own]

This sounds all too familiar. Since Sunday School, I've always learnt that Pharisees were bad people. But, I've come to realize that they are just like everyone else, fallible to self-pride and self-righteousness.

I'm sure every Christian has come through this phase, where they think that as long as they are better than the person next to them, they are 'good Christians.' They think, 'Look! I spend my time reading the bible, I kneel down to pray and worship. I tithe and give offering regularly. I'm not like the others.'

This is the kind of thinking that divides the church. WWJD indeed. I'm sure that Jesus would have done all of the above, keeping himself holy and pure before the Lord. But I'm also sure that Jesus wouldn't have used it to point to Himself, but to our Father. He wouldn't have tried to cause division in His church, let alone others' families by judging the people around with self-righteousness.

Once again, why look at the sawdust in your brother's eyes, when there is a log in ours?

Side note: Judging does not bring about understanding, acceptance or change. It only serves to hurt and strain relationships. If we truly believe in WWJD, then we would not bring people down with harsh criticism and judgement, but build them up with love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home