little girl, Big World

Thursday, June 29, 2006

PSYCHOANALYSIS...

I attended a stress management talk today and participated in the relaxation exercises that the inmates were taught. I've always wanted to see whether it was effective and whether it would work for me (it was especially challenging because of my blocked nose and my constant sniffing and scratchy throat).

You can try it too:
1) Close your eyes and put a scene where you felt calm and peaceful in your head. Just immerse yourself completely into the scene as if you were actually there.

2) Engage every sensory organ in this visualization. Feel the surroundings, smell the air, listen to the sounds.. and just be.

3) Don't allow any other worrying thought, or anxiety-provoking idea enter and focus upon that picture. Focus on it, till you feel like you're really there.

What picture did you see? For most of us, we will envision a sunset, a walk on the beach or jetty, or a stroll in a park near a lake. Water seems to have a calming effect on most people. I envisioned all 3 and it brought back such vivid memories, I teared. I know at those points of time, I was truly at peace, yet it was difficult to bring the same effect back to me when I was so conscious of the fact that I was in another place, at another time, hearing metal doors slamming and feeling the cold hard seat on my back and butt. So I guess I failed the exercise.

But it works for some people. I guess I need to learn to swtich off my mind sometimes. It may sound delusional, to imagine such things, but it works to give the mind a rest. And I know my brain needs rest badly.

I don't like Ashlee Simpson that much, but there's this one song I find interesting:

Beautifully Broken
It seems like yesterday that my world fell from the sky
It seems like yesterday I didn't know how hard I could cry
It feels like tomorrow I may not get by
But I will try, I will try
Wipe the tears from my eyes

I'm beautifully broken
And I don't mind if you know it
I'm beautifully broken
And I don't care if I show it

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart...

Psalm 51:17a

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home