little girl, Big World

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Meaningless, meaningless, utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless...

King Solomon was known to the wisest, most prosperous, most powerful king in his time. And yet, his conclusion towards the ned of his life was: everything is meaningless.


Ecclesiastes has always caught my attention. When I was younger, it was because of its hard-to-pronounce title. Then, when I grew up, the Solomon's observations really gripped me.

Has there been any time you read something and in your head you're thinking, 'Yes! That's exactly what it is.' That feeling of 'someone understands' resonates within you. That's exactly how it is with Ecclesiastes.

And this is one book of the bible that I encourage everyone to read, Christians, non-Christians alike. In my opinion, it is one of the more philosophical books I have come across. It's one where God doesn't appear to play a speaking part; Ecclesiastes is just a book of reflections made by King Solomon and his conclusion of the matter of life.

"I denied myself nothing my eyes desire,
I refused my heart no pleasure.

My heart took delight in all my work,
and this was the reward for all my labour.

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
and what I had toiled to achieve,

everything was meaningless,
a chasing after the wind;
nothing was gained under the sun"

Ecc 2:10-11

"Whoever loves money never has money enough;
whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income.
This too is meaningless"

Ecc 5:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home