little girl, Big World

Friday, October 07, 2011

I saw an old lady carrying a heavy bag with her on the train today and reflected on how when I was in Primary School, I also carried a huge bag with me just so I wouldn't forget any textbooks or workbooks for the lessons that day. It was like an unspoken competition then to see who could bring the heaviest bag to school.

Then came secondary school and I remember trying to bring as little books as possible home, and left them in school, so that I could carry a lighter burden. It was the same in JC as well. And in university, I was grateful to have to carry nothing besides a pen and paper to take notes (or just a laptop).

Now at work, it seems the burdens have grown and I wonder whether I would also reach the same stage as this old lady, where I would be lugging a heavy burden with me.

It made me think about happiness and security. When was I most happy? When was I most secure?


I wish emotions could be easily compartmentalized. I wish my heart could be bigger so that it could hold more. But the sense of betrayal is overwhelming.

Such brilliant Oscar Winners. Would you celebrate short term goals or long term victories? In this case, it has already been won. So what now?

Let's say there was a little girl, and from the time she could understand, she was taught to fear... let's say she was taught to fear daylight. She was taught that it was her enemy, that it would hurt her. And then one sunny day, you ask her to go outside and play and she won't. You can't be angry at her can you? Estella, Great Expectations

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home